Thursday, July 10, 2014

Doing some late "spring" cleaning

Rounding up all our spare change last week put me in the purging mood and got me wondering how much money we have lying around in things we don't use/ need.  Over the next month I plan to go through the house with a fine tooth comb rooting out these unneeded objects and selling them via Ebay, Craigslist, and a large kids stuff consignment sale I will be participating in next month.  

I made an initial sweep this past weekend and currently have the following stuff listed on Craigslist and Ebay:

- Baby stuff including a large automatic swing, a floor mat entertainer, a carrier, and some maternity stuff: this is just the big ticket stuff, I have boxes and boxes of smaller value stuff that I will sell at the consignment sale a month from now.
- A futon frame: we're keeping the mattress but honestly it's so much more comfortable on the floor than on this metal futon frame... besides the mattress on the floor just adds to the Japanese motif the guest room seems to be taking on.
- Video games: yep, I like to play video games (which I buy used) but with two toddlers I almost never get to play and the likelyhood of me going back and replaying ones I've already beaten is pretty slim.
- Wedding dress: not going to use it again and I had two boys soooo... do I really need to hang onto it?

Obviously I don't know if all of the stuff listed will sell or how much it will sell for but if everything sold for a price around what I expect there is $450 in unneeded stuff lying around the house.  I'll be keeping track of everything I "find" over the next month to get rid of and how much it sold for.  Once the kids consignment sale is over I'll write a post on how much money we had lying around in unused stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment