Friday, March 1, 2013

February summary

February was a complete wash as far as savings and only made the tiniest progress with debt reduction.  I realize that we are in savings for baby prep mode and not focusing on debt reduction but after so much time watching my numbers continuously fall, it's a little tough to see the numbers stagnate.  I just have to keep reminding myself that the whole goal for this year is to not accrue any new debt while we handle all the additional baby needs and financial transitions.  

We had some major expected expenses last month as follows:

$250 for my annual parking pass
$76 for car taxes
$66 for my professional license
$275 to register for parenting classes
$300 for a trip to my hometown for a baby shower

Even with all that we were still looking to be able to save $500 which I was pretty happy with until our oldest dog started getting sick.  A trip to the vet confirmed that he was in desperate need of some dental work and had a serious infection spreading into his sinuses.  When the vet brought out the estimate for all the work he needed I thought I was about to have a heart attack! We decided to go on the pet plan offered by Banfield which at least reduced the cost of the proposed work considerably and also allowed for some of the cost to be spread out in monthly payments.  His surgery is this coming Monday and we won't find out until they get in there how much the final balance is but I'm pretty much kissing the $500 we had set aside for February savings goodbye.

On the bright side, we were able to cover all these expenses without dipping into existing savings and March looks much better... right now I'm only anticipating a few small non-regular bills that need to be taken care of.  

No comments:

Post a Comment