Monday, October 24, 2011

Funny how ingrained spending is

The thing about this decision to pay off my debt and blog about the experience is that I have no idea what I am doing.   I’m new to blogging, both writing one and reading other peoples’ blogs, and I’m obviously incompetent at money management so I’m not really sure what I need to do to get the ball rolling in the right direction.  I’ve been searching the web for tips and came across some great blogs like: http://www.bloggingawaydebt.com/ and http://www.debtreduction101.com/ but what I think I really need is a step by step guide to starting the process.
A memory of a past co-worker of mine came to mind as inspiration.  He and his wife had some 165k in debt and following some kind of program, I think by Dave Ramsey, were able to cut their spending and pay off all their debt in the matter of a few years.  This may be a little bit of an exaggeration but I do clearly remember him eating mac and cheese for lunch almost every day for a year and thinking “if that’s what it takes to pay off debt, count me out”.  Anyways, back to the point… I have a lead to follow.  So what do I do?  I fire up Amazon and start piling financial help books, particularly the ones by Dave Ramsey, into my cart.  I even find “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Getting out of Debt”.  The irony of my actions don’t hit me until I go to check-out utilizing one touch purchasing linked to my high interest credit card.  Do I really need to go further into debt to learn how to get out of debt?  I quickly cleared my basket and will be hitting up the local library on my way home from work…

No comments:

Post a Comment