Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spending Trigger 2: Food Cravings

Yes, it’s ridiculous but if I’m spending the time targeting the things that frequently trigger my bad spending habits and trying to come up with solutions to avoid or prepare for the trigger then I have to take a look at my food cravings.  I am a junk food junkie.  I love anything with salt, cheese, or a high fat content (yes, I’m talking to you Taco Bell).  I also love soda.  I know it’s a gross habit and I know it’s bad for my health (as I wrote about yesterday).  And I know it’s bad for my wallet.

I don’t buy any junk food at the grocery store, actually I don’t buy a lot of processed food at the grocery… my basket is usually filled with fruit, veggies, nuts, whole grains, fish, and low fat dairy… if you were to look at my grocery list you would not know that I have a junk food problem.  Not buying junk food at the grocery is good in theory after all I aim to have a healthy diet that is not financially wasteful.  The problem is that I give into my cravings all too often and because I don’t have junk on hand it sends me running into convenient stores to buy way overpriced single serving chips and sodas. 

I vow to change this behavior and here’s how I’m going to do it:

1.       Keep a stock of healthier alternatives on hand at home and at work, i.e. bulk pretzels from the grocery instead of a single serve bag of Doritos.  This will allow me to “give in” to my snacking habit without the guilt.
2.       Same goes for the soda, I need to just accept that I like sweet drinks and get some healthier options on hand.  Juices, sugar free drink mix, and even diet soda are better than the Mountain Dew I crave.
3.       Avoid the hunger pain indulgence… all bets are off when I’m starving so I need to be better prepared with full meals and snacks in between.
4.       And lastly I need a good dose of self-discipline.  I hate to say “no” to anyone including myself but it’s time to quit justifying and rationalizing my behavior and learn to “just say no” to junk food!

No comments:

Post a Comment