Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The medical bills are rolling in

Between the pre-baby trip to the ER and admittance to the hospital for pre-term labor, the birth and recovery of the twins, and the ER trip with the little twin, we've got a mountain of medical bills piling up!  We added the boys to S' insurance and it took awhile to receive their cards.  That means that a good number of the bills we have sitting here haven't been paid out by the insurance company. I'll be spending the next few days calling each bill to report the insurance information because I sure as heck don't want to be on the hook for the full amount of these bills!

In the meantime, I'm tracking each medical event in a spreadsheet.  This way I can easily add information about when we receive the bill for that medical event, the amount owed, and I can double check to make sure the insurance company has paid out their portion of the bill.  This may seem like overkill to some but I've had some past experience dealing with medical bills and I don't think any amount of organization is too much when dealing with insurance companies!  Besides that, my time these days is severely limited, I need to be able to pick up a task for a few minutes and understand where I left off so staying organized is key.

I also realize that some of these medical bills are going to be too much to pay outright and we will have to set up payment plans.  I've added a line item in my debt counter on this blog, once I've got a clear idea of what we owe after insurance I'll be adding the medical debt to the list.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think the spreadsheet is overkill at all. You're absolutely right that being organized up-front is going to be the best way to keep track of everything and make sure the insurance payments get squared away. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete