Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Family emergency but no emergency fund

Last week one of the inevitable moments that we all dread occurred in my family; one of my closest uncles unexpectedly passed away.  This was a huge emotional blow to me as well as the rest of the family.  It was one of those times where I deeply regret living 1000 miles away from my family and I was not sure that I would be able to make it to the funeral.
 
With no emergency fund left, the high cost of flying me and the twins to Kentucky at the last minute was out of the question.  But driving myself and two infants there in such a short amount of time was also unrealistic.  S stepped up and decided to help drive us there even though he wouldn't be able to stay and we were able to get a reasonably affordable one-way ticket for him to go home the following day.
 
It is moments like this that the importance of having an emergency fund becomes so apparent and reinforces my mission to get out of debt.   I hate that I even had to consider missing the funeral and saying goodbye to someone so special to me all because of the financial mess I've created for myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment