Thursday, October 24, 2013

Looking back on two years of debt reduction

Monday was officially the two year anniversary of my decision to start this debt reduction journey and blog.  I've been taking a little walk down memory lane today, reading some of the very first posts I wrote back in 2011.  It's kind of strange looking back and seeing the details of the little steps I have taken and as well as the big events that have thrown curve balls at my debt plan.  When I started all I had to think about was me- my money, my spending, my debt.  In two short years, I've added S and the babies to the mix and have to think about finances in a whole different way.  And even with all the ups and downs along the way, I was able to get rid of over 25k (40%) of the debt that I had been dragging around for years!

In my first post I talked about the shame and guilt I felt about my financial situation.  It's funny but I can't even remember the last time I felt either of those negative feelings.  I actually feel quite proud of my accomplishments financially and can openly discuss my situation with my loved ones without feeling embarrassed.  And my journey is no longer just about the road to debt freedom.  I am learning a tremendous amount about all aspects of financial planning from taxes, insurance, savings and investment options to living a less wasteful and simpler life.

What a wild ride it's been so far... exciting to see what the next two years brings me!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on two years! Your attitude and achievements are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete